Double Möbius Strip
Here is a twist (pun intended) on the Möbius strip. Take two strips of paper, twist them, and tape the ends together. In this photo, I placed a red strip of paper between the two strips to show that there is a gap between the two strips all the way around the double Möbius strip. Yet, not is all as it seems. Be prepared for a surprising result.
- Cut two long strips of paper.
- Stack them on top of each other.
- Tape the ends together to form a loop with a half-twist before you tape them.
- Verify that the two strips are really independent by either placing a third strip between the other two or passing a pencil between the strips all the way around the loop.
- Open the two loops for a surprising result.
- Try to reassemble the strips to their original configuration.