Slide-Together Models Made with Hexagons
George Hart, the king of polyhedra-inspired sculpture, created models that are easy to build by sliding together simple shapes.
- Cut out 20 hexagonal pattern pieces from card stock. Use five different colors for an interesting model.
- Slide pieces together at the slots. Start by sliding five hexagons of different colors together to form a pentagonal hole.
- Continue sliding pieces together to form pentagonal spaces. Refer to the picture to see what the end result will look like.
- The slots in the hexagons cut the edges in the golden ratio.
- This model is part of the small dodecicosahedron.
- This image was created by Robert Webb's Great Stella software